Thursday, May 3, 2012

California car cutlure

My name is Jesse Blum and I have been a fan of cars my entire life. My first word was Yamaha, which isn't specific to cars but easy to remember and to say: Y A M A H A. I love the sound of engines revving, the smoke from tires burning and the adrenaline as a turbocharger kicks in as you drive down the road. Since cars were first invented there have been multitudes of manufacturers and more model names than you can remember (unless you are a contestant in the National spelling bee or have a photographic memmory) As I venture into the automotive industry and my career as an automotive broker with H.M. Brown and Associates a shameless plug I know! I want to share thoughts, insight and other people's passion and experience with their cars, trucks and other types of vehicles. My first entry is an interview I did with a California native, EK, who is passionate about cars. While people love their cars in Colorado Californians are car crazy. There are far more people driving around with aftermarket rims,body kits and other modified parts on their cars. Perhaps it's the generally sunny weather of California but car culture has an entirely different feel than most other states. The answers are those of EK to the questions I have asked. What does car culture mean in CA? Why is it different than other states? To me, the car culture in California is all about people coming together as a result of their common interest to share adventures, stories and their appreciation for automobiles. There is a camaraderie created between many different types of people based on their love of cars and driving.Car culture is huge in Califonia but represents different things to different people. There is definitely a bit of the "Hollywood influence" throughout the state and because of this I feel like there is a slight bias towards import (Japanese and European) cars. The beauty is that there is a niche within the California Car Scene for everyone depending on their specific interests. The spectrum is vast given the diversity of our state’s population and driving spaces and conditions. We have it all from drifting imports which have gained prominence recently all the way up to the collector car scene at the famous Pebble Beach Car Show and Monterey Historics Race at Laguna Seca which is always amazing. Regardless of what you're into there are many events, clubs and shows to join.
What cars do you currently own? I feel lucky that I get to drive a 2010 Toyota Tundra, 2008 Audi S4 Avant and 2006 Porsche Carrera 4S. When do you drive these cars/trucks? Because of demands at work (going long distances, carrying heavy materials and driving with my co-workers), I primarily drive the Toyota and Audi during the week and the Porsche more often in the evenings or on the weekend (as often as I get the chance!)
What is the favorite vehicle you have ever owned and why? In general the Porsche is my favorite car because of the build quality, steering, suspension and power delivery. I simply feel so connected to the pavement when I am driving it, especially on a traffic free, windy road. What is the least favorite and why? The Toyota is my least favorite, although it is very practical and may pass you going up a hill, chances are it won't pass the gas station. It is also difficult to drive (and park) in the city, being so large. What is a unique driving experience you have had? In 2007 I had the opportunity to go to a private driving school on the Racetrack at Laguna Seca for the first time and had a blast. I not only had fun on the world famous race track but also learned a lot about car control on and off the racetrack. I was also able to test the strengths and weaknesses of different vehicles. More recently I was able to attend a Porsche sponsored driving event at Candlestick Park in San Francisco and had fun increasing my skill level and testing the limits of a 911, on a closed course - of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment